Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Record Expungement in Minnesota
What are the reasons I would seek an expungement of my record?
Most people seeking expungement are experiencing difficulties securing employment based on their criminal record. There are several other reasons for seeking an expungement, however.
Some of them include:
- Difficulty securing employment or employment advancement;
- Difficulty obtaining housing;
- Difficulty becoming part of groups, such as volunteering or community organizations, or the ability to work as a volunteer at a school;
- Restoration of gun rights;
- Persons prohibited from being licensed in certain fields, especially those related to working with vulnerable populations, such as health care, child care, or elderly care; and
- Persons experiencing immigration issues.
Who is Criminal Record Expungement Not Appropriate For?
Certain persons are prohibited from obtaining an expungement, and others are not likely to be successful candidates. Persons convicted of an offense for which registration as a predatory offender was required (i.e. murder, kidnapping, rape and many sex offenses) are prohibited from receiving an expungement. And persons currently on probation are not eligible for expungement until after discharge from probation.
If you have questions about whether you are a good candidate for a criminal record expungement, please contact our office for a free consultation.