Assault Lawyer Minneapolis, MN
Has the state charged you with fifth degree or domestic assault in the Minneapolis, MN Twin Cities area? Are you being investigated for assault or domestic assault? If so, contact the criminal lawyers at Brandt Criminal Defense. With over 30 years of experience handling assault and domestic assault cases, we have successfully defended these charges ranging from misdemeanor domestic assault to first degree felonies.
With our aggressive approach to handling assault cases, we have secured not guilty verdicts in jury trials, outright dismissals, and have negotiated greatly reduced charges resulting in favorable results for our clients. We’ve put together our impressive record on assault cases by thoroughly investigating the facts of the case, conducting exhaustive research, and pushing cases to trial.
What is Assault in Minnesota?
Assault charges not only can carry direct consequences such as potential jail time, fines and court-ordered treatment, the collateral consequences can be harsh and long-lasting. An assault charge can affect child custody in divorce cases, a person’s future employment, their volunteer opportunities, as well as the ability to possess a firearm. We know how to defend assault cases. The team at Brandt Criminal Defense has been honored as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” for the past 12 years—an award given to less than 6% of Lawyers in Minnesota. Our dedicated team is ready to get together with you to put together a plan to protect your rights and your future.
The five degrees of assault vary and depend on the facts of your case. These include:
- 1st degree—inflicting great bodily harm
- 2nd degree—using a dangerous weapon
- 3rd degree—inflicting substantial bodily harm (like a broken bone)
- 4th degree—assaulting a police officer or correctional officer
- 5th degree
- Misdemeanor – inflicting or causing fear of bodily harm
- Gross misdemeanor – a second offense in 10 years
- Felony – a third offense in 10 years
- Domestic assault – ranging from misdemeanor to felony depending on the number of priors.
- Domestic assault by strangulation
If you or someone you know is facing assault charges, call the team at Brandt Criminal Defense to get started on a plan to defend your case.
Call 763-421-6366 for a free consultation today.